This is a strange story for me to write. It will at times be a sad story, in many ways it will be happy and perhaps even funny. It will be an adventure that entails anxiety, flirting with danger, fortitude in the face of adversity and many attempts to look on the bright side. There will also no doubt be moments of anguish and despair, and a lot of uncertainty. It's a story that will hopefully be cathartic for me, but also interesting and perhaps informative or even entertaining for others.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Chemo done.

So that was an experience I wish I'd never had! I've now finished my six sessions of R-CHOP21 and am so glad it's over and I hope I never have to go through anything like that again. I have no hair, puffy black eyes, numb finger tips and I'm fat (I've put on about 7kg and have lost all my muscle tone). But, at least I'm beating this thing.

Worst of all I am feeling absolutely exhausted. My body aches all over, particularly my arms, legs and neck and nothing seems to help. I'm now just thankful that there's no more treatments, so it will hopefully start improving soon. Although apparently the radiation causes fatigue, so maybe I still have a while to wait.

I'd like to say thank you once again to everyone I know for their support, friendship and encouragement. I feel very lucky to be surrounded by such wonderful people.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can only try to imagine how fried, exhausted and so over it you must be after such a gruelling 5months. However you still look beautiful to us. Take care. xx Lisa

Dave said...

Good on you Riaane. A great strong effort.

Anonymous said...

Super effort Riaane!You have certainly shown such wonderful fighting spirit. Congratulations on your very positive news!! Love Meredith

Anonymous said...

A friend pointed out your site to me. My sister was just diagnosed with the same thing. She's in the hospital now and starts chemo tomorrow. Thank you for your story.

Danoz said...

You make me so happy that I am marrying such an awesome person, love you always and forever.
Danoz xx