This is a strange story for me to write. It will at times be a sad story, in many ways it will be happy and perhaps even funny. It will be an adventure that entails anxiety, flirting with danger, fortitude in the face of adversity and many attempts to look on the bright side. There will also no doubt be moments of anguish and despair, and a lot of uncertainty. It's a story that will hopefully be cathartic for me, but also interesting and perhaps informative or even entertaining for others.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

I want to be me again

I don’t know what I thought my last chemo treatment would bring but after envisioning it for months, it became some sort of benchmark I had to reach in order for things to get better. I think that somewhere in my mind I’ve been thinking “If I can get to treatment six, then everything will be ok”.

Although I feel so excited to have reached this target, I don’t think I could feel much further from my normal pre-cancer self. I’m not totally delusional, and didn’t actually believe that I’d finish the chemo and instantly be fine, but it’s such a crappy journey to be on that it’s hard not to have irrational expectations and be overly optimistic. However, the reality is that I still feel really lousy. I’m still exhausted, run down and just generally out of sorts. I still have tingly fingers, no hair and black circles under my eyes. The face that stares back at me in the mirror still definitely looks like a chemo patient.

I know I need to be patient and give my body time to recover, but I don’t want to. Instead, I’ll have to focus on the positives. The radiation oncologist spent a lot of time showing me the masses in my pre-treatment CT scan, compared with the one I had at the end. Seeing how huge the cancer was to start with and that it is essentially non-existent now, is a somewhat comforting feeling. The tiny grey area that still remains on the scan, should disappear with the radiation I will soon start.

I have made it through half my treatment (the chemo) and have half to go (the radiation), but I think the first half was probably the majority of the fight and I made it through that successfully.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are totally hardcore...not only did you kick Chemo's butt but now you have tattoo!!! Leah xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi,Im a 24 year old girl from Ireland,I was diagnosed with Mediastinal large b cell lymphoma 2 weeks ago and I had my first round of RCHOP21 10 days ago. Thankfully I haven't been sick so far, just tired. I'm getting my hair shaved on Wednesday and I hate the thoughts of it. I was fine about it to begin with, but the closer it gets to shaving it, the worse I feel; it like you said, once the hair goes I'll really look like a cancer patient. Loosing the eyebrows and eyelashes annoy me more to be honest, did you loose yours? You sound like you might be a bit disheartened, but don't be! It might not feel like it now, but you've gotten so far!! Its really helped me to read your blog and see that you're coming out the other end of it because right now that seems very far away. Best of luck with radiation, I look forward to reading the rest of your posts.

Anonymous said...

See Riaane...You really are superwoman! You are reaching out to so many people, it's beautiful.
You inspire us to be the best we can be and we are greatful for that.
xox
Eloise

Anonymous said...

Rizza you are still beautiful and I cant believe how many people are reading your blog to that are on their own experiences. You are an inspiration!
Love You
Love Mel