This is a strange story for me to write. It will at times be a sad story, in many ways it will be happy and perhaps even funny. It will be an adventure that entails anxiety, flirting with danger, fortitude in the face of adversity and many attempts to look on the bright side. There will also no doubt be moments of anguish and despair, and a lot of uncertainty. It's a story that will hopefully be cathartic for me, but also interesting and perhaps informative or even entertaining for others.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Appreciating Christmas

It's the beginning of the festive season and I'm really looking forward to Christmas. I've always loved Christmas for many reasons (fun times with family, gift giving and lots of yummy food and wine), but this year I'm appreciating it a whole lot more.

I put up my Christmas tree the other day and had distinct memories of the same experience a year ago. Last year I spent the whole time thinking it may be the last time I get to decorate the tree. I also remember trying to really appreciate my birthday and Christmas Day, as I was so scared they would be last.

Thanks to amazing doctors and medical researchers (and all those that donate to cancer research) I am here to experience all these things again this year and many more times in the future.

It's my birthday next week and I'm really looking forward to appreciating time with my family and friends because I love them and want to have fun with them, without worrying it will be the last time. I'm so glad I can do that.

2 comments:

clodagh said...

Hi Riaane,

I have just sat here for the past hour reading every one of your posts from start to finish.

I have just been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma at 26 years old, and my first chemo session starts tomorrow. Since I first presented with symptoms at my GP less than 3 weeks ago, its been a whirlwind of tests, biopsys, mis-diagnosis, scans to bring me to the point where tomorrow is the day where it all becomes real for me.

Thank you so much for documenting your experience. As a Perth girl of similar age, and similar lifestyle, it has really helped me feel like I am not walking in the dark on my own with this.

You have a fantastic way with words and I am so happy to hear that less than a year later, you are doing well.

I keep my thoughts towards staying as strong and brave as possible and look forward to the day when I too can say "I kicked cancer's butt"!

Ange
x

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Riaane. Ive been thinking of you at all these stages - OMG this time last year Riaane had just found out, this time last Riaane would have been... oand on it goes. Cannot begin to imagine the rollercoater you have been on over the last 13months. Your hoesty, openness and wise words has given others an insight not normally accessed and we are all trully grateful. May the next 12months find you surrounded by joy, peace, focus and so much love. xxLR