This is a strange story for me to write. It will at times be a sad story, in many ways it will be happy and perhaps even funny. It will be an adventure that entails anxiety, flirting with danger, fortitude in the face of adversity and many attempts to look on the bright side. There will also no doubt be moments of anguish and despair, and a lot of uncertainty. It's a story that will hopefully be cathartic for me, but also interesting and perhaps informative or even entertaining for others.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hair today, gone tomorrow

So, it’s happened…hair loss. Well sort of. It started on Thursday. Was there more than the usual moulting on the hair brush I wondered? No, I’m just being paranoid. Then Friday there was definitely clumps coming out as I brushed it, then throughout the day every time I touched my hair I’d get small clumps on my fingers. Saturday morning I washed my hair and got a HUGE fist fall of hair. I surprised myself by bursting into tears. You see I’d thought I was ready for this and I thought I was fine with it. Obviously I’m not as fine as I thought! I’ve been waiting for it to happen since day one. Hair loss was the only side effect my oncologist said was inevitable. But, as I’ve learnt so many times in the last few months, being prepared for something doesn’t make it any easier. So after spending the day yesterday having quite large chunks of hair falling out, I decided I had to do something. So much hair had fallen out over the last few days, yet there was still no visual damage so I could have left it as it was. I have read that a lot of people’s hair only thins and they never actually lose it all, but I couldn’t bear the thought of my hair being so fragile for the next few months. Brushing it gently and tying it back loosely so there’s no tension on the roots, and constantly asking those around me “are you sure it’s not noticeable?”. So this morning (Sunday) when I woke up with hair on my pillow, in my mouth and in my eyes I decided to just shave it off. My two best friends came over and we decided to cut it a few different ways first to see what other styles suited me! First we cut it shoulder length, then a shaggy just below the ears style, then short and spiky. Then all of a sudden the fun was over and it had to be shaved. This was very confronting and made the whole cancer thing seem a lot more real. I shed a lot of tears, but now a few hours later I think I’m ok with it. To tell you the truth I’ve never liked my hair and have on many bad hair days exclaimed that “I should just shave it all off”. I have this wavy, curly, frizzy hair that either needs to be straightened or packed with product and styled carefully to make the curls sit properly. Most of the time I can be bothered doing neither of these things, so it ends up tied back in a ponytail. I’m going tomorrow to buy a wig, but I’m unsure yet how often I’ll wear it. I’ve been to look at wigs already and have decided on a fairly short, synthetic wig. I was originally thinking I’d get a human hair wig, but I found out they’re heavy and hot to wear and worst of all you have to wash and style them. As part of the whole ‘look on the bright side’ thing, at the moment I’m stoked about not spending any of my time on my hair! The thought of my wig in the sink looking like a drowned rat is not appealing at all! So right now I’m wondering which celebrity to compare myself to. Am I glamourous like Natalie Portman, tough like Demi Moore in GI Jane or a wacko like Britney Spears? I feel like singing ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ or seeing if I can swim really fast! Overall I think so far this has been the hardest part. I didn’t think it would be so bad. I have to remind myself that it’s happening in order to make me better. If it meant I’d beat this thing I’d chop my arms off, so temporarily losing my hair is nothing. Now that it’s gone I can look forward to the elation and excitement I will feel when it starts growing back.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Rhiaane, I have just finished reading a hilarious and brilliant book by Elizabeth Gilbert called "Eat, Pray and Love" and honestly, your writing is every bit as good as hers.

I hav e found your "journey" to be very enlightening, interesting and a very good read especially about the little things like trying new hairstyles and I am sure it would be helpful to many others. Your attitude is inspiring. Your friends sound very thoughtful, supportive and fun.
I wish you a safe "journey" and that you will "arrive" happy and healthy.

I will be sending strong positive thoughts your
way.
Love,
Aunty Karen

Dave Card said...

Hey Riaane, I think I can sympathise with you on the old hair loss problem! I think swimming faster is definetly the upside. I'm not nearly as afraid of sharks anymore.
Dave

Anonymous said...

Your new 'do' is gorgeous Riaane. You look beautiful (as usual)!
xox
Eloise

Anonymous said...

Riaane - incredible to read how you worked through hairloss, reclaimed your power and did what you could on your own terms. I would imagine when so much is out of your hands and beyond your control it is empowering to own what you can. We all thought your hair was gorgeous but for now it is just you and your very best sinaid oconner impersonation. However, you have always been a striking and gorgeous woman to us and that is obviously still the case sans locks! Get a jar and put in money each week of what you would normally spend on hairdressers and shampoo and later on when it grows back you can book yourself in for a well deserved delux pamper :D Lisa R x

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting us go on your journey with you Riaane. Your writing is something really special and I am sure it will be helpful for you and for those people lucky enough to read your thoughts and experiences. We will definitely be with you all the way as your blog is a great idea. You are a remarkable young lady with such insight and strength of character. I have not only learnt so much from you while teaching together but I am learning so many life lessons as well. Love the new "do" . It looks great. X0X Meredith

Anonymous said...

You had a few of us fooled with your wig. It is just you!!!
Thank you for keeping us posted with what you are going through. I sympathise with you as I hate needles too. That's why I haven't given blood yet!
Hope tomorrow's session goes smoothly.
Have a great weekend.
Francoise xo