This is a strange story for me to write. It will at times be a sad story, in many ways it will be happy and perhaps even funny. It will be an adventure that entails anxiety, flirting with danger, fortitude in the face of adversity and many attempts to look on the bright side. There will also no doubt be moments of anguish and despair, and a lot of uncertainty. It's a story that will hopefully be cathartic for me, but also interesting and perhaps informative or even entertaining for others.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Two Years Later

Two years ago I was in the car on the way to spend some money in the post-Christmas sales when I received a call from my oncologist, "I have your biopsy results, can you come in today?". We went straight to his office, where I received my official cancer diagnosis. Looking back on that day it seems like it never really happened, like it was actually someone else going through that. But the reality is it was happening to me.

Now on December 30th 2011, exactly two years later, my life is getting back to 'normal'. Of course there is a new 'normal' for me, as I know that life will never be the same for me. There are positive changes that one can make after being faced with death, but there are also many difficult things that I'm just going to have to learn to live with. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't worry the cancer will come back, and I still have some lingering physical problems.

The biggest thing for me though, is knowing the people that are special to me. In my life before cancer I new I had great friends and family, but I now know just how wide that network is and how much they actually mean to me. I'm sure that I wouldn't be here writing this without their support.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the dates that come around are so powerful for us - we can't imagine what it's like for you Riaane - and Daniel. This time last yr, this time 2 yrs ago... Has flown in some ways but feels like last month.

I would imagine that there will always be residual health issues for you. All those conciderations that you quietly deal with but other people forget over time. Your beautiful hair has grown back and you look so gorgeous, so pretty and people move on thinking it's all over. Personally i think you are even more beautiful now than before! But, some of us don't forget Riaane. Just one look into your eyes and we know it's right there - that hint of a shadow that survivors have.

I love your fight,your drive, that you grabbed it by the horns and headbutted it. You always seek to be forward-thinking, positive and wanting gratitude, peace and happiness around you. We cannot tell you how inspring you truly are to us all but hopefully over time you will.

More than anything on this earth I hope 2012 is a wonderful year for you Riaane. Boy do you deserve it! xxx Lisa R

Veggie said...

Hi, I had the same lymphoma as you so I would guess that we will have similar lasting effects.

I was diagnosed in of March 2009. I saw your post on 'the cancer formus' about R-CHOP weight gain. I gained alot of weight as well and think there is something to this for young women. I also had a growth on my thyroid so I had radiation to part of my thyroid and I now have been taking thyroid medication for about a year. I also had Chemo Brain that effected me for a long time. I still have some of it even now.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

My name is Eva and I work for the site lymphomainfo.net, an online resource for people suffering from lymphoma. I recently found your blog and greatly admire your story!

Would you be willing to tell readers about your journey in a Share your Story article on our website? The site currently attracts about 70,000 visitors per month, so it is a great place to get your voice heard.

Let me know if you are interested! You can also email me at eva@deepdivemedia.net

Best,

Eva

Daniel Gan said...

Hi Riaane,

My mum was diagnosed with B-Cell Lymphoma last year around April period. After which, she went through chemo and the rounds for close to half a year.

Just today in fact, we had the results of the CT scan and thankfully, the scans are clear.

The oncologists are constantly advising us to go for "maintenance" chemo despite the outcome, but I REALLY really dread my mum going through that process again.

I feel the same way as you said on your post, life is never going to be the same again, we'll going to worry about cancer coming back, but we don't give up, and continue to make positive change in our lives.

However, I can't help but feel a sense of unease. Can you reply me? Are you ok now?

Unknown said...

I have so much respect for those that have to fight cancer. My sister's boyfriend had to go through treatment for lymphoma last year, so I have seen what it can do to a person and those close to them. It is definitely a struggle for everyone involved, especially the one going through treatment.
Keara Littner | http://www.cbsnv.com/services.html