This is a strange story for me to write. It will at times be a sad story, in many ways it will be happy and perhaps even funny. It will be an adventure that entails anxiety, flirting with danger, fortitude in the face of adversity and many attempts to look on the bright side. There will also no doubt be moments of anguish and despair, and a lot of uncertainty. It's a story that will hopefully be cathartic for me, but also interesting and perhaps informative or even entertaining for others.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Kids are so honest!

Well the students have been back at school for two weeks now and it’s been great. I’m teaching 8 and 9 year olds and I can’t believe how mature they’ve been about everything. They’ve asked me every question under the sun about the cancer and my treatment (kids aren’t backward about coming forward), but have been incredibly caring and helpful. I’ve received lots of hugs, bunches of flowers, cards and drawings. It’s very heart -warming.

As all teachers know, kids aren’t afraid to say what they’re thinking. I learnt this in my first year of teaching when we were learning a song and one of my students said “Miss C, you don’t sound like you when you sing, you sound awful”. I also know another teacher that was asked “why are your legs so chunky, when my mums are thin?”. I therefore knew that I’d get plenty of amusing stories out of having cancer. Here are some so far:

•I was wearing my wig on the first day, which is much shorter than what my hair was. I went into another classroom and one of the students said “I feel sorry for you Miss C”. Another student asked why, “because she’s got cancer” he replied. Then another student said “oh, I thought you felt sorry for her because she had to have a haircut”.

•Another time I was in the corridor outside my classroom wearing a bandanna. A kid from another class was at the other end of the corridor with his mum. “Bye Miss C” he called out, “See you tomorrow” I replied. As the walked out the door I heard him ask “what the heck is wrong with her head?”. I had a good chuckle to myself!

•Last year at school we had a crazy hair day and I wore a bright blue wig. A parent of an autistic student told me how she’d explained to her children before school went back this year that I had cancer and I might be wearing a bandanna or a wig. Her autistic child replied “Well Miss C has a blue wig, so she’ll be wearing that”.

•A student with Asperger’s Syndrome that I have taught for two years asked me “are you wearing that bandanna because of how you’ve got Asperger’s?”. Obviously he got mixed up between his diagnosis and mine!

I think I’m very lucky to be working with such supportive colleagues, but also wonderful students and their families. They are so caring, but at the same time I feel it is so helpful in allowing me to remain positive, have fun and enjoy lots of laughs!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make us smile Riaane. Thank you!
Eloise xox

Anonymous said...

Oh Riaane - this is GOLD. As predicted we knew they would come up with the most incredible, honest and facinating questions and comments. They are so protective of you and the bonding is wonderful. They really have rallied around you and each other. We are so proud of the children but most of all we are so incredibly proud of you and honoured to able to share in some small way your journey. Absolutely love the comment from the boy at end of hall asking mum what's wrong with her head! This was a big giggle tonight that I needed. Can't wait for the next installment and your amazing insight. Best wishes, Lisa R xx

Anonymous said...

Haha, the kids at your school sound pretty entertaining there Rizza.

Just so you know, I have been reading up on this at work, I just check each day and see if there is any new updates.

Also, as you would expect, I am keeping up with our pet peeve and double checking for any spelling mistakes :)

Haven't dropped around for a while and checked your progress with guitar. You had better not have given up on learning it yet.

Take it easy big sis.
- Damo xoxo

Anonymous said...

Loving your posts Rianne...gotta love teaching! Those kids can warm a heart whenever it's most needed. I'm certainly looking forward to catching up with them all tomorrow. Love Jo xx