This is a strange story for me to write. It will at times be a sad story, in many ways it will be happy and perhaps even funny. It will be an adventure that entails anxiety, flirting with danger, fortitude in the face of adversity and many attempts to look on the bright side. There will also no doubt be moments of anguish and despair, and a lot of uncertainty. It's a story that will hopefully be cathartic for me, but also interesting and perhaps informative or even entertaining for others.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Making choices

If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or fight like hell.
~Lance Armstrong

2 comments:

Leonie said...

Hello there Riaane! (:

I happened to chance upon your blog when I was searching for other bloggers who are lymphoma patients/survivors. I'm glad to know you have survived this ordeal. I'm very happy for you! (:

In fact, I'm also a lymphoma patient myself. I am 17 this year, and I'm from Malaysia. I'm in my last year of high school, but I have currently stopped attending school since I found out about my condition last month. I have a tumour, which is around 11cm, located in front of my heart and in between my lungs. A persistent cough that lasted for more than a month, and just could not be cured even with a variety of cough syrups - made my family doctor advise me to go for an X-ray.

I have gone for two chemotherapy sessions so far, and will be going for a third next week. I was diagnosed with the same type of lymphoma as you, so I can relate to your posts. It's nice to know of another person who understands what I'm going through now.

I have a cancer blog too, feel free to visit if you like!

http://dancingpapercranes.blogspot.com

I would really like to keep in touch with you if you don't mind. I hope that your experience in fighting and winning the battle against lymphoma can encourage me to stay strong throughout my treatment. My email is mystical_creature3173@hotmail.com

Take care, and I really hope to hear from you! :]

Sincerely,
Leonie.

Anonymous said...

And fight you did. Just like Lance Armstrong - you are a true inspiration and incredible person. Lxx