This is a strange story for me to write. It will at times be a sad story, in many ways it will be happy and perhaps even funny. It will be an adventure that entails anxiety, flirting with danger, fortitude in the face of adversity and many attempts to look on the bright side. There will also no doubt be moments of anguish and despair, and a lot of uncertainty. It's a story that will hopefully be cathartic for me, but also interesting and perhaps informative or even entertaining for others.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

It's Finally All Done!

A bit of catching up is needed again in regards to my blogging.

My last post was about my first radiation session, so I’ll pick up from there. Wearing the mask for the first few treatments was pretty awful. There were little lines in the wood on the roof, so I would focus on counting those to take my mind of the feeling that I was suffocating. Thankfully the treatments were very short, as were the waiting times. Most days it’d be about 10 -15 mins from parking my car to getting back in it to go home!

I think after the first week I had gotten used to the mask and it didn’t really bother me any more. About 7 or 8 treatments in I started to get a very red chest and my throat started hurting a bit. It didn’t really make me tired, but it was very draining to have to go every day.

After that my chest got redder and drier as the treatments progressed, thankfully my throat never got any worse. I did get a dry mouth that was particularly bad during the night. As my chest got drier it began to really itch and it was so difficult not to scratch it. I’d often have to sit on my hands so I wouldn’t touch it.

It’s now been just over 2 weeks since I finished (yes, FINISHED!!!) my treatment. Still feeling fine! The redness is going away and it’s nowhere near as itchy.

I’m now well and truly ready for things to go back to normal for me! I feel like in a lot of ways my mind has already moved on and now I’m eager for my body to follow.

Anyway, I’m done, I’m done, I’m done! No more treatment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AWesome Riaane. Best news all round. Viva La Normal!!